Upgrade your driver training instructor's licence
If you hold an instructor’s licence, you can add additional designations for different types of vehicle training.
|Class 5||Permits instructor to conduct passenger vehicle training.||
|GLP||Permits conduct of an ICBC (GLP) – approved driver education course. Also allows the conduct of theory training.||Must hold a valid Class 5/7 or 6/8 instructor licence.||five day or two weekend GLP instructor course. Learn more.|
|Class 6||Permits instructor to conduct motorcycle training.||
|Class 1||Permits instructor to conduct commercial vehicle (Class 1-4) training.||
||40 hours — After successfully completing or enrolled in a Class 5 training course.|
|Air brake||Permits instructor to conduct air brake training.||Must have 2 years air brake experience.||35 hours.
Have you recently completed a medical evaluation?
If you have completed a medical within the past year for your Class 1 driver's licence, ask your doctor to send us a copy and we'll review it. It may not be necessary for you to have another medical evaluation.
Steps to add a designation
- Contact us to ensure that you qualify for the designation.
- If you qualify
- After completing your training, send the following to ICBC’s Driver Training Unit:
- your completed Application for a Driver Training Instructor’s Licence (MV2412),
- the course completion certificate (issued by the facility), and
- $15 duplicate fee — cheque payable to ICBC.
ICBC Driver Training Industry Support
PO Box 3750
Victoria B.C. V8W 3Y5