Take the Class 1 MELT orientation course
To teach B.C.'s Class 1 MELT course, you must complete the MELT Orientation Course (MOC) to maintain your Class 1 driver training instructor licence. To also teach MELT theory content, you must complete the ICBC Approved Instructor Theory Course (AIT), formerly called the "Graduated Licensing Theory Course (GLT)*.
How to get your Class 1 MELT designation
To obtain your Class 1 MELT instructor designation, you need to meet these requirements:
- complete the Class 1 MOC, and
- hold a valid Class 1 driver training instructor's licence.
Instructors who hold an instructor's licence with a MELT designation can teach a Class 1 mandatory entry-level training course at a licensed driving school.
Course scheduleMELT Orientation Course (MOC):
- Course duration: 2.5 days (17.5 hours) delivered virtually on Zoom.
- Includes seven sessions — each session is 2.5 hours with a choice of morning, afternoon, evening, or a combination of morning and afternoon sessions.
Approved Instructor Theory (AIT) Course:
Completion of the AIT course is required for
- instructors who wish to also teach MELT theory content*, or
- air brake instructors who wish to teach MELT air brake in-class training, that do not hold a Class 1 instructor's licence.
The AIT course consists of five-day sessions delivered virtually on Zoom.
*The AIT course is not required for instructors that currently hold a GLT designation.
How to register
– MOC registration opens April 16, 2021.
– AIT registration opens May 17, 2021.
To register for an upcoming course:
- Complete the online fillable enrollment form, then save the completed form to your electronic device.
- Send your saved copy of the completed enrollment form as an attachment to email@example.com.
|MOC session 1-4||TBD||Choice of morning, afternoon, evening, or combination of morning and afternoon||Open for registration April 16|
|MOC session 5-7||TBD||Choice of morning, afternoon, evening, or combination of morning and afternoon||Open for registration April 16|
|AIT course||TBD||TBD||Open for registration May 17|
Change or cancel your course enrollment
If you're already enrolled in an upcoming course and wish to change or cancel your registration, email Melt.Training@icbc.com.
What is covered in the course?
The MELT orientation course (MOC) includes:
- MELT standards and policies
- course assessment standards and requirements
- overview of lesson plans and course materials provided
- two short online courses (fuel efficiency and human trafficking)
- driver training professionalism
What I need to do to complete the course
To complete the course, you'll need to:
- attend and participate in all seven course orientation sessions, and
- complete two short online courses outside of course time.
How to prepare for the course
Review course materials and complete workbook assignments before attending the course.
Is there a course fee?
- The MELT instructor training program is free during the MELT transition phase.
- All course materials are provided.