Become a driving instructor
Ready to start a career as a driver training instructor? We can help.
If you are qualified, you can be an instructor for passenger vehicles (car), motorcycles or commercial vehicles.
Get your instructor licence
To teach driver training in B.C., you must meet certain requirements and be licensed by ICBC.
Do I qualify?
To become an instructor, you'll need to meet these requirements:
- You are at least 19 years of age.
- You have a valid driver’s licence.
- You have three years driving experience for the specific class of vehicle.
- You have received fewer than 10 points on your driving record within the past two years.
- You don’t have an affiliation with ICBC that is a conflict of interest.
- You have paid any debts owing to ICBC.
When applying for an instructor's licence, there is a cost for some requirements.
|Criminal record search||$50-$100 *|
|Medical evaluation||$60-$200 *|
|Instructor training course||$4000-$10,000 *|
|Instructor licence||$30 licence fee (to be paid after course completion)|
* Costs are estimates only.
After applying, you’ll need to pass a driver training course and order your licence.
Steps to becoming a driving instructor
Request an instructor application
This part of the application includes a review to check that you qualify and meet the requirements.
Complete the application package
If you meet the requirements of the review, we'll send you an application package for completion — it includes:
- application form
- medical evaluation form (completed by your physician)
- criminal record search request letter.
Complete all parts of the application and send it to the address noted in the package.
Complete an instructor training course
Once your application has been reviewed, we will contact you.
If you are approved, the next step is to take an instructor training course at an authorized instructor training facility.
|Facility type||Type of training it can offer|
|Class 5 instructor training facility||
|Class 1 instructor training facility||
40-hour (Class 1) courses to Class 1 instructor applicants — After applicants successfully complete or are enrolled in a Class 5 training course.
|Class 6 (Motorcycle) instructor training facility||80-hour (motorcycle) instructor courses to class 6/8 instructor applicants.|
|Air brake instructor training facility||40-hour (air brake) instructor courses to air brake instructor applicants.|
Mail completion certificate to ICBC
Once you complete the instructor training course, the next step is to get your licence.
Send the following to ICBC’s Driver Training Industry Support:
- your course completion certificate, and
- $30 licence fee — and $15 for each additional licence (cheque payable to ICBC). If you are planning on teaching at more than one branch office or school, you need to request additional licences to be displayed at those locations.
ICBC Driver Training Industry Support
PO Box 3750
Victoria BC V8W 3Y5
After receiving your course completion certificate and fees, we’ll send you your instructor licence. When you receive it, you can begin instructing at a licenced driving school.