Become an air brake instructor
To teach air brakes, you must hold an air brake certificate of
qualification issued by ICBC.
You'll need to meet these requirements:
- you are at least 19 years of age
- have at least two years' experience operating air brake equipped vehicles, and
- have successfully completed an air brake instructor certification course.
Steps to getting your air brake certificate of qualification
Enroll in an air brake instructor course
Your 1st step is to contact an ICBC approved air brake instructor certification facility.
For facilities approved to teach air brake instructor training, view the list of instructor training facilities.
The facility will enroll you in their course once they confirm that you meet the age and air brake experience requirements.
Get your air brake instructor certificate of qualification
Once you successfully complete the air brake instructor certification course, the training facility will notify our office and we will send you a certificate of qualification.
When you receive your certificate, you can begin teaching air brake courses using the guidelines outlined in the table below.
Guidelines for teaching an air brake course
An air brake course must:
- be taught by an air brake instructor at a licenced driver training school or institute
- must include a minimum of 16 hours of theory
On completing an air brake course, a student must be issued an air brake card or letter that includes the following information:
- name of driving school or institute
- course completion date
- instructor number
- a declaration that 16 hours of theory was completed, and
- student's name and driver's licence number